Get the latest news, tips and plugin & theme releases...
The Category Listings plugin has been developed for a WordPress site that needed to display the titles and excerpts of the most recent posts for the post that is currently being viewed. The idea being that it promotes other related posts to the readers.
The plugin outputs the most recent posts from the category of the post that is currently being displayed. It is possible to configure the number of posts to be output, the HTML before and after the whole of the output, the HTML before and after the post title and the HTML before and after the post excerpt.
To get the Category Listings to display, you will need to either:
- Place the shortcode ‘category-listing’ where you want the output to appear in your post. Usually, this would be at the end of a post.
- Place the following code in your theme
<?php echo output_category_listing(); ?>. We have placed it only where we are displaying a single post and positioned it between the end of any post paging and before the comment form.
The category listings have the following configurations that are set in the Settings->Category Listings admin page:
- Number of posts output – The number of posts that will be shown.
- HTML before all output – HTML that will be output before the generated output.
- HTML after all output – HTML that will be output before the generated output.
- HTML before post title – HTML that will be output before the post title.
- HTML after post title - HTML that will be output after the post title.
- HTML before excerpt - HTML that will be output before the post excerpt.
- HTML after excerpt - HTML that will be output before the post excerpt.
We have a wish list of how we would like to develop this plugin if we need to:
- Make it work with the <!–more–> tag instead of having to use excerpts.
- Widgetize it so it can be placed in a sidebar or footer. Although for this, we plan to only show the
For an example of how it looks, you should see the most recent posts published in the Plugins category between the end of this post and the start of the comments. Why not check out the other plugins we have?
What do you think could be done to improve this plugin or make it more useful?
The Minimal Single Column WordPress Theme is a very simple theme that should be easy to extend with your own styling should you want to. It has 3 widget areas in the footer for extra links and navigation and a navigation area in the header.
Other features include:
- Post thumbnails
- Custom backgrounds
Let me know what you think in the comments
Do you think I could make any simple improvements to it?
You can use the Blogroll to Page WordPress Plugin to output your blogroll links to any page or post on your blog by using its ‘blogroll-to-page’ custom short code. The output options can be configured using parameters explained in the WordPress Codex and set in the options page which is found under the ‘Links’ menu.
Use the following shortcode to output the blogroll links : blogroll-to-page
You can see an example of the output at our WordPress Resources page.
If you find any problems, let me know and I’ll try to fix them up.